Almond Flour and Cheese make for a great fake out.Print This Recipe
What You're Gonna Need:
- 1½ cups mozzarella
- 3 oz cream cheese
- 1¼ cup almond flour
- 1 egg
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped green olives or black, or white, or blue…we cool
- 1 tsp chile powder
- 1 tsp chile cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ⅓ cup salsa of choice
Print This Recipe
What Ya Gotta Do:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a pan over medium heat, cook onions in 1-2 tbsp olive oil until slightly softened.
- Add in ground beef and break up with a spatula. Season meat mixture with chile powder, cumin and smoked paprika. Cook until browned.
- Add in some of that salsa and those olives.
- While meat is cooking, it’s dough time! Add mozzarella and cream cheese to a bowl and microwave for one minute. Take out and stir well, then put back in the microwave for another minute. Stir well. Get it nice and mixed and gooey. You may have to microwave more than a few times.
- Add egg to mozzarella and cream cheese mixture. Mix it well…by hand! Then add in the almond flour and then rough it up one more time.
- Roll the dough flat. Once you’ve rolled it flat, about ¼” thick, use a bowl to cut circle shapes.
- For excess dough, form into a ball then roll out again and repeat the process until all the dough has been used.
- Lay on a lightly greased sheet of parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
- Place a couple spoonfuls of meat mixture (that sounds weird, doesn’t it? Say it aloud. “Meat Mixture!”) into each circle on one half and then fold the other half over.
- Press down firmly on the edges of the folded dough. Use a fork to gently push down the edges.
- Once you’ve made all the empanadas, baste with an egg wash.
- cook at 425 degrees for 12 minutes until starting to turn golden brown.
- Slice some avocados, spoon on some sour cream and salsa.
- Eat it.