Stuff You'll Need
- Some Olive Oil
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 large - yellow onion, chopped
- 3 tsps of sugar
- 1 tbsp cooking sherry
- 1 lb of ground beef - I prefer 80/20 for fat content.
- 1 lb of ground sausage - mild
- 4 cloves of garlic - minced
- 1 28 oz can of pureed tomatoes
- 2 8 oz cans of tomato sauce
- 2 8 oz cans of tomato paste
- 2-4 cans of sliced black olives
- 1 tbsp of dried basil
- 1 tbsp of dried oregano
- 2 tsps of smoked salt
How to Make It
- Get a 12″ sautee pan and heat up the stick of butter and a glob (yep, glob) of olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Salt and Pepper the chopped onions to your liking. When the butter is melted, add the onions to the pan and coat them.
- Let the onions cook a bit and then add in a tsp of sugar and the cooking sherry. Continue cooking for about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and ground sausage. Break up any large chunks while cokking until you see little or no pink.
- Add the chopped garlic and cook for another minute.
- Drain off the fat and juices as much as you wish. (I take out about half.)
- To the pan with the meat, add the pureed tomatoes, the tomato sauce, the tomato paste, and the olives. Mix it all up.
- Bring the sauce to a boil and then turn it down to a simmer.
- Add the basil and oregano as well as the remaining sugar and the smoked salt. Stir.
- Let simmer, covered, for at least 4 hours.
- Season to your taste as needed.
- Eat it on your favorite pasta, sprinkled with fresh parm and a bit of basil.
If you are in season for any of the ingredients, use fresh by all means!!!