What You're Gonna Need:
- 1 lb of golden yellow potatoes diced
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 carrots coaresly shredded
- 1-2 cups of cooked ham diced into cubes (ham steaks work well here too.)
- 28 oz of chicken broth
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 can of evaporated milk
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 cup of brocolli florets or 1 cup of croutons
- 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar
What Ya Gotta Do:
- In a slow-cooker, add the potatoes and onions. Pour in the chicken broth. Cover and cook on high for around 3 hours.
- After the 3 hours, in a bowl, combine the cornstarch, thyme, and pepper to taste.
- Whisk in the evaporated milk.
- To the slow cooker, add the cornstarch mixture (slowly!), along with the ham and carrots. Cover and cook fpr another 30 minutes. Do a few stirs.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the chowder in a bowl with a topping of broccoli (or croutons) with a smattering of the cheddar cheese.
- Eat it.
Also published on Medium.