Onion Soup that is Not French Onion Soup. 99.9% French Free!Print This Recipe
What You're Gonna Need:
- 3 lbs of yellow onions
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/4 cup of Olive Oil
- 1 cup of white wine
- 1 cup of cooking sherry
- Some sprigs of thyme
- 6 cups of stock/broth chicken, beef, moose, veggie…whatever ya got
- 1 TBSP. of lemon juice
- 1 baguette of some yummy crusty bread
- 2 oz of Fontina Cheese – shredded
- 1/4 of parmasean
- Eggs – 1 per person
- Some parsley.
Print This Recipe
What Ya Gotta Do:
- Mince the garlic.
- Put the olive oil, the wine, the sherry, the onions, the garlic, and the thyme in the Slow Cooker (on High).
- Wait 7 freaking hours. Stir occaisionally to give yourself something to do.
- Pour in the broth and wait another 2 hours.
- With about 30 minutes to go, heat oven to 400° and boil a small pan of water (on the stove not in the oven…d’uh.).
- Slice the baguette in diagonals and arrange on a baking sheet. Pop in the oven for about 5 minutes, flipping over once (the toast, not you).
- When water boils take off heat. Use it to poach the eggs.
- Mix up the cheeses and then sprinkle it all over the baguette slices. Throw them back in the oven for a few minutes to get them melty.
- Pour soup into bowls. Sprinkle with parm. Drop in the poached egg.
- Arrange slices of cheesy toast in bowl or around.
- Garnish with parsley.
- Eat it.
Also published on Medium.