Stuff You'll Need
- 2 Tbsp. of vegetable oil
- 1 sweeeeet onion - chopped up
- 2 jalapeño peppers - de-seeded and diced… for giggle, rub your eyes while doing this
- 2 large garlic cloves - minced
- 2 tsp. of ground cumin
- Some salt and some pepper
- 6 cups of broth - preferably chicken
- 4 corn tortillas - cut into little strips
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley… some folks use cilantro but I hate that stuff. Yuck.
- 1 roasted chicken from the supermarket - shred off about a pound of meat
- 1 cup of grits made in advance or 1/4 cup of uncooked - add 20 minutes to cooking time below
- Sour cream
- Tortilla Chips
How to Make It
- Get a big pot and heat the two Tbsp of oil.
- Add in the onion, the jalapeños, the cumin, and the garlic. Season it with the pepper and the salt. Cover and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Pour in the broth and those tortilla strips, bringing to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the parsley and pour it all in a blender (or use a stick blender one if you are all fancy-schmancy). Blend it all up, mama.
- Take your soup goop and add the chicken and grits. Heat on low for about 5 minutes. (Longer if you are using dry grits…about 20 min… maybe even add a quick boil.)
- Put it in bowls. Dollop on some sour cream and add chips.
- Eat it.